If you are resident in Spain and want to import your vehicle, you must register it with the local authorities in the Spanish province where you live. If you spend longer than three months of the year in Spain with your UK registered car, Spanish law says you must apply for the residency and then register your vehicle with the Spanish authorities.

If you are a non-resident and you are holder of a NIE number and you possess a property in Spain than you are allowed to purchase a Spanish plated car and register it into your name.

Tourist with UK registered vehicles being driven in Spain must comply with all UK requirements for Road Tax, M.O.T. and third party insurance covering the full time period the vehicle is used in Spain, up to the three month limit.


Please note that you will be able to register right hand drive vehicles in Spain. Payment of the following taxes is required by the Dirección General de Tráfico when importing and registering your UK vehicle.

  • A registration tax – Impuesto de matriculación
  • A road/traffic tax – Impuesto de circulación del ayuntamiento
  • V.A.T. – IVA

Depending on your circumstances you may be exempt from one or more of these taxes. If required, you can obtain a residency transfer certificate (un certificado de baja consular) from your local British Consulate.


The minimum age required to drive a car in Spain is 18 years. All EU countries (including the UK) are now obliged to conform to the new style photo card licence which must carry a photo likeness and the permanent home address of the holder.


A full Spanish driving licence is valid for 10 years between the ages of 18 and 45; between the ages of 45 and 70 it remains 5 years; and beyond 70 years old the validity period remains 2 years. You 'should' receive a letter advising you of the need for renewal as long as your address details are current, but equally you should not rely on this being sent out as a reminder to you to renew your licence. To renew your Spanish driving licence you will need to present your old licence, your residencia, three photographs, and a Certificate of Aptitude from an Authorised Drivers Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado) in your province. The medical examination is carried out in designated clinics. These Spanish driving regulations are broadly similar to the rest of Europe under EU law and ensure that drivers are safe, healthy and competent.


If you are a Spanish resident you have 2 options:

  • Register your UK driving licence with the DGT in the Province you reside.
  • Change your driving license to a Spanish one.


If you receive a traffic fine while driving in Spain (e.g. for speeding/parking incorrectly) you can pay online via the Direccion General de Tráfico website. If you dispute a fine you have incurred and wish to appeal, you should contact the Jefatura Provincial de Trafico (Provincial Traffic Office) where the fine was incurred.


  • Apply for a car report before transferring or buying a car
  • Deregister the vehicle
  • Others